Pages

Friday 9 November 2012

Tuscan Bean Soup with Spinach

Happy Friday :)

It's a day full of kids ~ no-school day here ~ and a little birthday celebration for a cousin and lots of smile-worthy stuff.
We have some mellow music playing on the ipod, we had cinnamon buns for breakfast and the play dough is getting lots of action.

Here's a soup I made yesterday.
It's simple and delicious.

Here's the back-story....
I was stuck in kid~land food for AGES.
I was sick of it. I was uninspired and I wasn't willing to make elaborate dishes with complex ingredients that my kids would look at and cry.
Not joking!

I hit a wall.
I realized once again that I'm in charge of my happiness and satisfaction in every area...even meals.
I found a solution.
Because it mattered to me.
Because I was SICK to death of grilled cheese and waffles.

I make small portions of the lovely, amazing food I enjoy.
I eat it.
I don't have left overs.
I don't suffer tears and drama.
I accept that my kids' pickiness is for a season.
I re-entered the world of YUM.
Happy.

Tuscan Bean Soup with Spinach.

 
10 1/2oz canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
10 1/2oz canned cranberry beans, drained and rinsed
2 1/2c chicken or vegetable stock
1/2c small dry pasta shapes
4tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
Fresh baby spinach ~ as much as you like
salt and pepper
 
Place half the cannellini and half the cranberry beans in a food processor (*I used an immersion blender*) with half the chicken stock and blend until smooth.
(*I only had white kidney beans and it still tasted amazing*)
Pour into a large, heavy-bottom pan and add the remaining beans.
Stir in enough of the remaining stock to achieve the consistency you like, then bring to a boil.
 
Add the pasta and spinach and return to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 15ish minutes, or until just tender.
 
Meanwhile, heat 3tbsps of the oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3mins, or until golden. Stir the garlic into the soup.
 
Season to taste with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls.
 
 
DELICIOUS!
 
"A first-rate soup is more creative than a second-rate painting."
 
 

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I make this soup with white kidney beans (one of my favourite beans) Just added your new site to my reader. Nice to see you back online.